Thursday, January 12, 2012

I.M. Literate

Well, it's a new year and that means setting goals. One of the goals I've set for myself this year is to both read and write more often. The Kindle my parents gave me for the holidays will undoubtedly aid me in the reading part and I intend this blog to take a brunt of the writing part of it.

Today I was reading some posts on my friend Rachel's blog (Coffee and Cigarettes) and in turn followed that to a blog I had, admittedly, never been to before. But Rachel's post spoke of a challenge and I the competitor in me said "what have you got?"

The challenge from author Emlyn Chand is basically to read 12 books from your childhood (one per month) and then blog out the results. Will the stories hold up over time? Will they affect me the same way emotionally as the first time through? Do I even remember the story the way it actually happened? How much have I really changed in the years since I've read these books? These questions and more await their answers....


I haven't figured out ALL the books I plan on reading this year but here are a couple I plan on getting in at some point during the year.

  • The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • How Georgie Radbourn Saved Baseball by David Shannon
  • Yertle the Turtle by Dr. Seuss
  • Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling (let's say all of them for now)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein 

The challenge begins with a simple question: why do I like reading? I suppose it's very much the same as why I like watching television or movies and why I like playing video games, I like the escape. The real world can be boring, repetitive and dull. Books, movies, games; they all allow us an opportunity to experience things that we would never get to experience in the real world. Sure, there are endless great places and things to explore in this world but I can't go into space in real life (yet) and I definitely can't journey to lands like Middle-Earth but I can in my head. A book can take me there.

These stories can also give us hope. If our own story isn't going quite the way we wanted to, we can find another person who overcame even greater obstacles to save the world or meet the girl or just succeed at something.

Basically, books are a way to experience the impossible and I can't think of a better reason to read.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the challenge, Zach. I love your explanation for why you read. I can't think of a better reason either. I look forward to getting to know you over the months. So many cool people are coming from the far corners of the internet to participate in this challenge... And "Where the Sidewalk Ends," YES!

    ReplyDelete